SkyGuard Operator Protection
A secondary guarding device is a piece of equipment which can be fitted to a MEWP in addition to the primary guarding systems, and is intended to provide an alert that an entrapment situation has occurred.
Nethertheless, secondary guarding cannot replace the operator's responsibility to be aware of their surroundings and the need to following safe working practices.
At A-Plant Powered Access and A-Plant, we offer a range of secondary guarding systems. For example, all our new Genie booms have been fitted with secondary guarding as standard and we offer the SkyGuard system for use with JLG booms. Secondary Guarding is also available from other manufacturers upon request.
SkyGuard is a state-of-the-art control panel device which provides an innovative solution to preventing injury and fatality from crushing when operating MEWPs. SkyGuard significantly reduces the risk of entrapment when operating booms and is able to be retro-fitted on JLG boom lifts in a matter of minutes. Many sites now demand the use of such devices on equipment operating on their sites. The SkyGuard system fits above the control panel and when subject to a pressure of around 23kg or more, stops all functions and immediately reverses most functions that caused the pressure.
Features and Benefits
- SkyGuard can be activated from a variety of angles and provides additional protection without affecting normal operation of the boom lift.
- Does not increase the platform profile or limit the use of the platform.
- Stops the function in use at the time of activation and sounds the horn.
- Temporarily reverses functions that were in use at the time of activation.
- A horn and optional blue flashing beacon simultaneously alert other workers on the job site to sensor activation.
- Resets by cycling foot switch or e-stop.